CNPH needs you!

7.06.2014

TOYCON 2014: Interview with Mr. Brian Cabrera, the "Astig" Optimus Prime Collector



1.    Aside from your optimus prime collection, may iba pa kayong kinocollect? Do you also collect other merchandise besides Optimus Prime?
> Before Optimus Prime eh panay movieline lang talaga ako.. then Classics, then inumpisahan ko din G1 and other lines pero una ko nabibili si Optimus Prime.

Before Optimus Prime, I used to collect movieline merchandise only, then classics, then G1 and other lines but I usually buy Optimus Prime first.

2.    May particular line kayo ng kinocollect? Do you have a particular line that you collect?
 > Sa ngayon eh concentrate nalang talaga ako sa Optimus Prime Collection ko, yung ibang line eh unti unti ko na din benta para ipalit sa ibang OP Figures na wala pa ako, lalo na ngayon TF4 AOE na lalabas, dami na namang OP na lalabas.

Right now I’m really concentrating on my Optimus Prime Collection then I gradually sell the other lines so that I could purchase the other OP figures that I don’t have yet, especially the TF4 AOE and the other OP items that will be released soon.



3.    Why optimus prime?
> Why Optimus Prime? Hmmm di ba kung ano yung kinokolek mo nagrereflect din sa personality mo? OP siguro kasi he cares for all beings, and maasahan ng mga kaibigan nya...

Why Optimus Prime? Isn’t it that your collection reflects your personality? Maybe because he (OP) is dependable and he cares for all beings…

4.    When did you start collecting?
> I started collecting mga 2011 and my first TF figure Voyager Class Seaspray, late na noh? hahaha, karamihan naman dumaan sa TF G1 cartoons di ba and tagal ko na syang gusto collect pero wala pa kilala na matatanungan, then my friend Michael Robert Mercado eh TF Collector pala sa kanya ako nagtanong tanong kung ok ba tong figure na toh , mura ba ito,sya talaga pinagtatanungan ko nung newbie palang ako! Thanks Pareng Mike! then ayun natuloy na pagkocollect ko ng TF pero sabi ko "movieline lang ako".

I started collecting at around 2011 and my first TF (Transformers) figure was Voyager Class Seaspray, kinda late already, huh? Haha most of them underwent the TF G1 cartoon and I’ve always wanted to collect since then but I don’t have anyone to inquire to yet. Then I asked my friend Michael Robert Mercado (who is also a TF collector) questions like “is this figure okay”, “is this affordable”, because I was just a newbie back then. Thanks, Mike! Then I finally started collecting TF but I said that “I would only collect the movieline”.


5. What inspired you to collect?
> Inspired me to collect Transformers? Yun nga tagal ko na syang gusto talaga icollect and ayoko naman magcollect ng basta basta na di muna inaalam kung ano ok na figure or ok ang price.. then nung nakita ko collection ni Chard Corrales sabi ko "wow! ito pala may guide na ako ano ok na OP Figure" kahit ngayon nagtatanong tanong pa din ako bout ibang OP sa mga kilala kong Optimus Prime Collector like Lawrence GT-s, Chard Corrales and Volt "Eric" Prime (pinakamatinding OP Collector for me) hehehe.

 Inspired me to collect Transformers? Just like what I’ve said, I’ve always wanted to collect it but I don’t want to just collect carelessly without knowing what figures are okay or if the price is reasonable…then when I saw Chard Corrales’ collection I said “Wow, I think I already have a guide about which figure is okay”. Up to now, I’m still asking about other OP (figures) to other OP Collectors like Lawrence GT-s, Chard Corrales, and Volt “Eric” Prime (the best OP Collector for me) hehe.

6.            Where do you usually buy your items?
 > Nung naguumpisa palang ako magcollect eh OLX (Sulit) ako, minsan sa ibang mga kilala kong "sources" na makukunan ng below srp, minsan ebay or nakikisuyo sa mga friends sa abroad kasi mahirap din maghanap sa FB Community ng mga for sale eh kasi nakaabang yung mga "RESELLERS" kaya kahit kakapost palang eh magugulat ka may nakareserved na or taken na kagad tapos after a week or two makikita mo for sale na sya sa mas mataas na price.

When I was just a beginner I purchase them from OLX (Sulit.com.ph). Sometimes from my acquaintances that I could get below the suggested retail price, sometimes from ebay, or I ask favors from my friends who go abroad because it’s really hard to look in FB communities that are for sale because the resellers are also anticipating for the items and even if you post early, all of a sudden it will be reserved or taken already. Then, after a week, you’re going to see it for sale at a higher price.



7.            Do you collect for investment, para ibenta to in the future kapag mas mataas na ang value? Or do you collect for a hobby and hilig nyo lang talaga?  Do you collect in order to sell it in the future for a bigger value or is it only for your hobby?
 > For a hobby lang talaga sya. ewan ko lang ano gagawin ng mga kids ko kapag pinamana ko na sa kanila si Optimus hahaha

It’s really for a hobby only. I don’t know what my kids will do once I pass on my Optimus Prime collection to them haha.

8.            Naipasa nyo po ba ang hobby nyo sa kids nyo? Were you able to pass on your hobby to your kids?
 > Hinde eh kasi 3 girls sila. Yung bunso ko minsan pinaglalaruan nya si Potato Head Optimus at RC Optimus Prime.

No because they’re all girls. Sometimes, my youngest child plays with Potato Head Optimus and RC Optimus Prime.



9.            Marami nagsasabing isa kayo sa mga pinaka-astig na optimus prime collector. How do you feel about this? Many people are saying that you are one of the coolest Optimus Prime Collectors. How do you feel about this?
 > WOW!! Marami talaga? Thank you kung ganun. Dami ng OP Collector ngayon eh. pero for me naman lahat ng collector pantay pantay siguro nasasabi lang ng iba na astig ang isang collector kapag wala sila nung figure na meron yung isang collector siguro dahil datihan ng collector yung isa di ba? Siguro sinasabing astig na collector ako kasi lahat ng figures/item basta Optimus eh kinokolek ko, wag lang yung "pricey" kasi may limit din naman ako di yung kahit mahal na Optimus binibili ko.
         
                        Wow!! A lot? Thank you then. There are many OP collectors nowadays but for me all collectors are equal. Maybe other people are just saying that a certain collector is cool if they do not have a figure of another collector or maybe the collector is already a veteran, right? Maybe they perceive me as a cool collector because all of the figures or items as long as it’s Optimus Prime, I collect it as long as it’s also not too expensive. I also have a limit because I won’t buy a pricy item even it’s Optimus Prime.

10.         What is your most unforgettable experience sa pagcocollect? What’s your most unforgettable experience in collecting?
 > Unforgettable experience ko eh nung binuo namin Transformers PinoyCollectors (TPC) kasi iba ang samahan sa grupo kahit mga 50+ lang kami di tulad ng ibang TF Group na nakikita ko na dami pero ang samahan eh parang di ganun katindi..more quantity sila kami naman quality habol.. friendship importante sa group then tulungan kung anong figure ang kulang yung member.. ika nga eh "250 galore" kasi kadalasan nabibili namin mga 200- 250 pesos lang hehehe. Gogogo TPC!

My unforgettable experience was when we formed the Transformers Pinoy Collectors (TPC) because the bond of the group is really close even if we’re only 50+ (in terms of members) unlike other TF groups that have many members but aren’t really close to one another. They do have more in terms of quantity but we’re looking for the quality. Friendship is what’s important in a group because we help each other in looking for figures that a member doesn’t have. We have a term called “250 galore” wherein we buy items that are only within the 200-250 price range. Go go go, TPC!


11.         What is your favorite optimus toy/figure, the one you consider as priceless?
 > Hahaha tough question! one figure?? The TF4 AOE Leader Class Optimus Prime. why? coz its a super unexpected gift sya sakin last Fathers Day.. priceless sya for me.. super!

Hahaha tough question! One figure? The TF4 AOE Leader Class Optimus Prime. Why? ‘Cause it’s a super unexpected gift for me last Father’s Day. It’s super priceless for me!

12.         What do you think is your greatest contribution in the industry of toy collecting/trading?
 > Sa  pagkakaalam ko wala pa ako nakocontribute sa industry ng Toy collecting siguro yung display lang sa Toycon 2014 dun kasi pinakita namin ang parang evolution ni Optimus Prime from G1 to Present. Thanks Mon Ruiz and TOYCON! kasi nga kapag sinabing Optimus Prime G1 and Movie lang alam nila, yung in between na lines eh konti lang nakakaalam lalo na mga non collector.

As far as I know I haven’t contributed that much to toy collecting yet but maybe only my display last Toycon 2014 because that’s when we showed Optimus Prime’s evolution from G1 to present. Thanks Mon Ruiz and TOYCON! It’s because most people only know the Optimus Prime in G1 and movie and only a few people know the things in between, especially if they’re non-collectors.


13.         How do you see yourself 10 years from now?
 > 10 years from now.. sana may hobbyshop na din ako...

10 years from now…I hope I could already have my own hobby shop

14.         Ano po ang advice nyo sa mga newbie collectors? What’s your advice to newbie collectors?
 > Pansin ko lang sa mga new collector ngayon eh gigil sila basta bili lang ng bili makasabay lang. Advise ko lang sa mga newbie eh wag gigil, wag matakot magtanong sa mga oldies na sa pagkokolek, walang bayad ang magtanong sino pa magtutulungan kundi tayo ding mga collector di ba? Siguro di mo rin masisisi kasi yung iba collector daw pero reseller din naman kaya minsan ayaw na magtanong.

I noticed that most of the new collectors today are eager to buy and buy just to join in the bandwagon. My advice for the newbies is that they shouldn’t be too eager and that they shouldn’t be afraid to ask from the veteran collectors. Asking is free and the people that could help one another in this hobby are only us, right? Maybe you can’t blame others because they say that they’re collectors but are actually resellers so maybe that’s why they’re not asking.




Thank you so much for entertaining our questions, Mr. Cabrera!

Interview: Jenny, CNPH
Editing: Xien, CNPH







No comments:

Post a Comment